Flying Doctor Memory Lane
“The Memory of a Lifetime”
For people with a terminal illness or in palliative care, simple chance to reconnect with their lives in their final days/weeks can mean the world. Flying Doctor Memory Lane is a free service that supports people to visit a place of personal significance; to admire their own garden, to feel the breeze of the seaside, or to be surrounded by loved ones and pets.
The custom-built Memory Lane vehicles enable people in end-of-life care to overcome access barriers, visiting a place that holds meaning safely and comfortably. Their expertise in transporting people to access needed health and wellbeing services means they are well-place to deliver on their commitment.
Eligibility criteria for Memory Lane clients:
- Be aged over 18 years.
- Have a terminal diagnosis and are currently receiving palliative or end-of-life care (as confirmed by their GP or treating specialist).
- Require specialised medical transport to revisit their place of personal significance.
- If clients have complex health needs beyond the abilities of our volunteers, we ask that a qualified health practitioner accompany them on the journey.
- Clients must have the approval of their lead clinician prior to undertaking the journey.
Memory Lane Service Goals of Care:
- The Memory Lane service is volunteer run and all journeys are subject to the availability of volunteers and suitable vehicle.
- RFDS Victoria is only able to transport clients in non-life-threatening circumstances to places of personal significance. If a client’s condition deteriorates during the journey, volunteers can provide basic lift support only, and will request an ambulance by calling triple zero.
- A family member and/or carer is expected to accompany a Memory Lane client
- Only clients, their carers or family members or an accompanying qualified health practitioner can administer client medication.
For More Information
Memory Lane website
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Memory Lane
Phone: 1300 017 337